Road Trip Starts with First Loss of Season

Photos courtesy of Steve Christy
The Lake Erie Monsters won their first two games of the season by one goal each and Saturday's game came down to a single goal as well. Unfortunately for the Monsters, they were on the other end of the result this time. After building a 3-0 lead in the second period, the Monsters gave up four answered goals and fell 4-3 to the Barons in Oklahoma City. It was the first loss of the year for the team and Lake Erie is now 2-1 on the season. The contest kicked off a six-game, nine-day road trip for the Monsters.

Lake Erie established an early lead, scoring twice within a minute midway through the first period, both while shorthanded.

Greg Mauldin started the scoring, netting his first of the season, and as a Monster, at 14:39 of the opening frame. He was assisted by David Liffiton, who recorded his first point in a Lake Erie uniform.

Fellow first-year Monsters player David van der Gulik followed that quickly with his first goal of the year, another shorthanded marker at 15:45. Matt Ford registered the helper, sending the Monsters to the locker room with the 2-0 advantage.

Mauldin, van der Gulik and Ford have all recorded points in two of the team's first three games this season.

After posting his point of the season a period earlier, Liffiton wasted little time in scoring his first goal of the year, finding the back of the net just 2:44 into the second period. The unassisted goal gave the Monsters a 3-0 lead, but it would prove to be the last goal of the night for the team.

Brad Moran caught fire for the home Barons and rattled off three straight goals of his own over the course of the second and third frames.

Moran's first came at 11:25 of the second, helped by Alexandre Giroux and Colin McDonald.

He followed that up with a power play marker at the 15:37 point of the middle session, again assisted by McDonald. Oklahoma City finished the second period down by only a goal.

Moran completed the hat trick with his third goal of the night at 15:36 of the third period, notching the game at three goals apiece. Giroux again assisted, as did Taylor Chorney.

The Barons took their first - and final - lead of the night at 18:37 when Linus Omark sealed it for Oklahoma City. Liam Reddox recorded the assist on the game winner, giving the Barons the 4-3 come-from-behind victory.

Monsters goalie John Grahame registered 22 saves on the 26 shots he faced, while across the ice, Barons netminder Martin Gerber posted 24 saves on 27 shots.

The Monsters will now travel to San Antonio to play the Rampage at 5:30 p.m. ET.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006