Grahame Leads LEM to 8th Straight Win

The Lake Erie Monsters continued their record-breaking win streak in Toronto on Saturday behind the stellar goaltending of John Grahame, who stopped 37 of 39 shots through regulation and overtime, followed by denying four of five Marlies in the shootout. Despite being outshot 39-18 through 65 minutes, the Monsters overcame an early deficit to defeat Toronto 3-2, winning their seventh straight on the road and eighth straight overall.

The Monsters are now 40-25-3-5 and remain in first place in the North Division with 88 points, four points ahead of second-place Manitoba.

Toronto established an early home ice advantage, scoring just 1:12 into the first period. Ryan Hamilton scored unassisted to quickly put the Marlies up 1-0.

Although the Monsters were outshot 12-5 in the opening frame, Joel Chouinard evened the score for Lake Erie with his goal at 17:58. Luke Walker and Julian Talbot assisted, sending the teams to the intermission tied at 1-1.

The Marlies again dominated the puck in the second period, putting up 10 shots compared to just three for the Monsters. Neither team was able to convert however, finishing the second still tied at 1-1.

Lake Erie struck first in the third period, as Greg Mauldin gave the Monsters a 2-1 lead with this goal at 6:57, assisted by Ben Walter and David van der Gulik. The line of Mauldin, Walter and van der Gulik scored all three goals in Friday's 3-2 overtime win in Rochester, as well as accounted for five combined assists.

With the assists on Saturday, Walter (2g, 12a) and van der Gulik (4g, 9a) have each recorded points in eight straight games. And with his goal against Toronto, Mauldin has points in 13 of the last 15 games (11g, 6a).

Toronto tied it back up with Hamilton's second goal of the game, a power play tally at the 10:38 mark of the third period. Alex Foster and Christian Hanson assisted.

The Marlies bettered the Monsters in shots in the final 20 minutes, 16-9, and regulation ended with the score still tied at 2-2.

Each team only recorded one shot in the five-minute sudden death overtime, sending the game to a shootout.

Toronto shot first and was denied, while Mauldin shot first for Lake Erie and converted. The Marlies second shooter, Joe Colborne, got one past Grahame, knotting the shootout at 1-1. Lake Erie's second and third shooters missed, while Toronto's third and fourth did as well.

Walker, Lake Erie's fourth shooter, slipped one past Marlies netminder Ben Scrivens. Grahame stopped Toronto's fifth and final shooter to seal the 3-2 Lake Erie win. Grahame finished the game with 37 saves on 39 shots, as well as four saves on five shootout attempts. Scrivens had 16 saves on 18 shots and two of four in the shootout.

The Monsters will now be idle until Wednesday when they host Rockford.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006