Monsters Lose Lead and Game In Philly

Lake Erie couldn't do it two nights in a row.  On Friday, the Monsters led Norfolk in the third period, let the Admirals tie it up, but then pulled out a win.  On Saturday, Lake Erie led Philadelphia in the third, let the Phantoms tie it up, but then gave up the game-winning goal with 19 seconds left, losing 3-2.  The game wrapped up a four-game road trip for the Monsters.  The team will now be off until Friday for the AHL All-Star Break.

The Monsters have been drastically outshot, 125-67, the past three games, although they were able to win two of those.  Lake Erie reversed that trend on Saturday, outshooting the Phantoms, 32-23, but unfortunately for them, still lost the game.

The game was also a reversal from Friday's in the penalty box.  After racking up a season high 64 penalty minutes against the Admirals the night before, Lake Erie only had four penalty minutes against the Phantoms on Saturday.

Philadelphia opened the scoring right away, as David Laliberte found the back of the net just 25 seconds into the game.  He was assisted by Jared Ross and Patrick Maroon.

The scoreboard would not change for more than a full period.  The opening frame came and went with the score remaining 1-0 in favor of the home team.

Bryan Marshall evened it up for the Monsters with his goal at the 5:34 mark of the second frame.  Justin Bowers and Wes O'Neill assisted on the score. It was Bowers' first assist with Lake Erie, having joined the team on January 10th.

Shortly thereafter, Phil Dupuis gave the Monsters the 2-1 lead.  Dupuis' goal at 12:03 of the second period was his fourth point (2G, 2A) in three games since returning from parent club Colorado. Chris Durno and Nigel Williams were credited with the helpers.  Durno leads the team in assists with 16, and Williams has now recorded assists in the last two games for Lake Erie.

Again almost a full 20 minutes would pass without a score, all the while the Monsters maintaining their one-goal lead.  That was until Maroon tied it up for the Phantoms on his goal at 10:30 of the third period. Rob Sirianni and Jonathan Matsumoto assisted.

Neither team could gain the advantage the rest of the period, as it seemed overtime was inevitable.  But then Matsumoto struck again, this time scoring for himself, and giving Philadelphia the 3-2 win with only 19 seconds left in the game.  Sirianni and Maroon assisted on the game winner.

Jason Bacashihua had 20 saves on the 23 shots he faced in goal for Lake Erie.  Across the ice, Scott Munroe posted 30 saves on 32 shots for the Phantoms. 

The game was the second and last between the two teams, who split their season series.

The Monsters will return to action on Friday in Syracuse.

Search Archive »

  Bookmark and Share

Browse by Year »


Browse by Month »

October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
March 2007
January 2007
December 2006
May 2006